How chlorine dioxide in water affects Pig and Poultry farming?
Water is a very essential part of pig and poultry farming for the health of the animals. In the farming industry, a proper drinking water system is beneficial to avoid any infections.
Chlorine dioxide helps pig and poultry farms to manage and maintain good quality drinking water.
What is Chlorine dioxide?
Chlorine dioxide is basically one chemical compound consisting of one chlorine and two oxygen atoms. Chlorine dioxide is a gas, and water acts as its carrier.
It generally is used in Poultry farms to eradicate microorganisms present in water. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has approved chlorine dioxide as a water disinfectant.
What are the effects of Chlorine dioxide water on Pig and Poultry farms?
- Chlorine dioxide in drinking water allows for adequate water consumption of the livestock which can contribute to the overall health of the animals.
- A proper water system with chlorine dioxide not only enhances the health of animals but also help to reduce the expenses of antibiotics.
- Chlorine dioxide treated water help farmers to eradicate slime, viruses, and bacteria in the water.
- The death rate among animals can be reduced through treating water with chlorine dioxide and using chlorine dioxide as a hard surface disinfectant or sanitizer to eradicate microorganisms.
- The animals will drink more water due to no water odor problems.
What are the Benefits of Chlorine dioxide in animal water treatment?
- Fast Action: Chlorine dioxide kills the bacteria and sanitizes the water quickly and effectively.
- Potent: Chlorine dioxide needs very small ppm doses to disinfect the water. From 0.5ppm in water to control harmful bacteria.
- Not pH sensitive: Chlorine and bromine both are sensitive for pH, when pH level rises in water both become ineffective. Chlorine dioxide is effective in a broad pH range.
- Strong against legionella: Chlorine dioxide is very effective disinfectant utilized for legionella control and prevents the microbial biofilms in which they tend to increase.
Chlorine dioxide is one of the potent oxidizers which provide fast disinfection, dissolves easily and is not sensitive towards pH changes. It not only protects the health of livestock but also promotes animal to drink more and gain weight faster.
April 10, 2023 @ 6:19 pm
hi, could i use the CDS on dairy cows ?
March 29, 2023 @ 8:50 am
A friend contacted me and shared that her chickens are suffering with the avian respiratory infection and is interested in using Chlorine Dioxide. Can you treat the individual chickens directly or is adding the CD to their shared drinking water sufficient?
March 24, 2022 @ 11:23 pm
How do I achieve the proper level in chickens’ drinking water?
1. Which product ?
2. What amount per gallon ?
3. Could I use this solution in my birdbaths, too?
This is for my home use with a small flock. My water is well water, no chlorine & very hard.
April 5, 2022 @ 8:36 am
2. Depending on the ppm you want to reach (from 1 to 10 ppm):
1 ppm add 1 tablet for 25 gallons
2 ppm add 2 tablets for 25 gallons
3 ppm add 3 tablets for 25 gallons
4 ppm add 4 tablets for 25 gallons
5 ppm add 5 tablets for 25 gallons
6 ppm add 6 tablets for 25 gallons
7 ppm add 7 tablets for 25 gallons
8 ppm add 8 tablets for 25 gallons
9 ppm add 9 tablets for 25 gallons
10 ppm add 10 tablets for 25 gallons (only used during virus outbreak)
3. Yes, it can be used for all animal drinking and can be used for all kind of water, from river to tap water.